Question:
What to do when a restaurant overcharges my debit card?
Bessie
2014-02-12 03:02:52 UTC
So I went to dinner last night with two other people. I was only supposed to be charged $22.97 + tip but right now I have a pre-authorization for $68.92 which is what the bill was before it was split.

I asked one of the other people who I went to dinner with how much they were charged, and they said there's is 22.97.. The other person paid cash so she has nothing to worry about.

I'm really hoping that the total will change once the final is posted, but I'm worried that it won't. What if they slid my card for someone else's check? (This was at a restaurant where the charge is the same for all adults so the possibility of them charging my card for a different check is quite possible.)

Should I wait until the final amount is posted to do something? Should I contact them over the phone or should I go there in person? Or should I just deal with this through my bank?
Nine answers:
?
2014-02-12 05:44:07 UTC
Call your credit card company NOW. Let them handle that. Then call where you were and used your credit card or go back with your bill. I am sure they will credit your account for you. Just make sure you call your credit card company and let them know what is going on.
2016-04-10 06:25:55 UTC
For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axFPX

All restaurants are set up to "pre-authorize" an additional percentage toward gratuity when you use a debit card. This is to ensure the cardholder has enough finds in the bank account when adding a tip, whether you leave one or not. It's usually between 20% and 30% depending on the restaurant. If you use your credit card this won't happen. The pre-auth will fall off in a day or so depending if the charge was done over the weekend. I have been managing restaurants for over 10 years and have worked in them for over 15. If I had a dime for every call I recieved from an angry customer that was overcharged, I'd be rich. Just hang in there.
2014-02-12 05:55:58 UTC
Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do until the transaction settles (or finalizes). Generally, 9 times out of 10, the problem will correct itself. Once the server enters the actual information on the receipt you signed, then the final charge should be for the proper amount and the overage returned to your account. Since the transaction is pending, the bank will tell you to wait until it is posted and at that point, you can dispute the transaction with the restaurant and if they cannot resolve the issue, then your bank can help.

This happens frequently due to double swipes and split checks if not rung up properly. but the problems are generally caught when the accountant closes out the credit card machine at night.

it usually takes 2 to 3 business days for the transaction to post.
raquel
2014-02-12 09:18:54 UTC
Sounds like they are charging you for full amount of bill. If you were only supposed to pay twenty something bucks that's what will show on account. I would go to bank and show them receipt for the charge you originally had to pay which was 22.97 + tip. They should be able to cancel transaction for that other amount. Or cancel it all together and just go to restaurant and pay in cash your previous bill. Or you can go to restaurant and try resolve this issue with the manager and hope he believes you unless you bring proof . I've had this happen to me before and being charged twice and I canceled transaction at the bank. Hope this helps.
2014-02-12 08:59:46 UTC
Take the receipt and go to the restaurant and ask to speak to the manager. Explain there may have been an "accidental" error and the manager can research the incident while it's still fresh in the server's memory (he/she will be better able to remember you and your group). If manager not willing to help or if total bill shows up on your statement then you can contact your credit card company.
Chris
2014-02-12 04:26:52 UTC
Well first thing is do you have the receipt? I would personally wait til the transaction is finalized to see. If the $68 is charged. I would go to the restaurant and ask for a manager.
linda
2014-02-12 18:16:47 UTC
Follow American Girls advise. Contact your credit card company then go to the restaurant to let them know you have disputed the charge. Hopefully at that point they will make the correction.
?
2017-02-25 13:59:12 UTC
Restaurant Overcharged Credit Card
Mystic
2014-02-12 05:18:28 UTC
call the resturant to explain or just call the bank and cancel the transcation.