Question:
after finishing dinner in a fine restaurant do you put your cloth napkin on your plate or on the table?
Lorie M
2005-12-19 03:34:28 UTC
I have been in the hospitality field most of my working life and I am surprised at the answers I have recieved in the past. I am looking forward to all your responses.
Three answers:
corazondiablo
2005-12-27 19:10:04 UTC
you place your flatware on the edge of your plate at like the 2 o'clock position to signal you are done. your napkin goes onto the table, sort of tucked a bit under your plate's edge. you don't have to fold your napkin back up crisply or anything, but you should neatly but casually fold it like once over from how you placed it on your lap. especially if it is a linen napkin, it would cause such a mess for it to be placed on the plate.
Cranky Old Goat
2005-12-19 03:52:04 UTC
I am probably wrong, but I instinctively place Napkin on Plate to let Server know I am ready for After Dinner Dessert or Drinks. Less rude than snapping my fingers or such.
gabi
2005-12-31 19:18:53 UTC
I belive that you should gently crease the napkin and tuck it under the rim of your plate.