Question:
Do waiters at high-end restaurants make more money than waiters at regular restaurants?
2010-06-04 19:23:16 UTC
People tip based on the bill of the food, right? A high-end restaurant could easily have a bill of $200, while a regular restaurant have bills that are around $40-$50. So do the waiters at the high-end restaurants make more money for doing basically the same job?
Five answers:
?
2010-06-04 20:43:51 UTC
Yes, waiters at high end restaurants do, in general make more on average than waiters at lower end restaurants. Many high end restaurants do keep their staff on similar pay scales or grades as lower end ones however, do keep in mind that even part time staff at these places tend to have to put more hours in per day. In addition, most diners at either end of the spectrum tip on a percentage basis; considering the price differential at 5 star restaurants, you can imagine how much larger the tips would have to be.

Often the initial cost of working for higher end restaurants is greater though. Many of these restaurants require that all staff be educated in hospitality and service, often requiring a college degree at the very least. In addition, staff are often required to take courses on a regular basis to keep them updated on service trends and etiquette. For example, waiters at higher-end restaurants need to be well educated in dining etiquette (serve the ladies first at the table; serve entrees from the left, collect from the right; serve beverages from the right). Wait staff are also expected to be able to make wine recommendations for each course (which often requires a wine tasting course depending on the restaurant and management). Additionally, wait staff are expected to memorize the daily specials and be able to answer questions about any dish on the menu. Often, to make this happen, wait staff are expected to arrive for work two to three hours prior to their service so they can try each course and gain insight from the chef and Maitre D'hotel. These are just a few examples. In certain situations, wait staff are also required to be more involved in food preparation, which, as you can imagine, requires a fair bit of in house training.

So, in short: yes, wait staff at higher end restaurants do, on average make more than those at regular restaurants. However, the jobs themselves are quite different, with the former being significantly more involved. This is not to say that wait staff at regular restaurants don't work hard, by any means, but the tasks are quite different for both and they are far from being the same job. It's like comparing apples to oranges.
jaywhitsell
2010-06-04 20:27:35 UTC
sometimes... they do get higher tips per table, but they are usually expected to do a lot more work per table, and often have less tables because of it. The tables also usually sit more and are more critical. I worked at a restaurant where the food was more expensive, but only had two or three tables a night. If you get a 15-30$ tip for two tables that's still only 30-60$ for the night, as opposed to the restaurant i work at now, where the menu is a lot cheaper. I have 8-10 tables at a time and they leave after about 20 minutes. I usually only get 2-8$ a table but if i can wait on 20 tables in the same time i could at the nicer place. so i'd still make like 80$. From my friends experience i'd say middle end places work the same way, they get a middle amount of tables and get middle of the road tips. I think it depends much more on the level of business and the server's skills. Also, not everyone tips on the price. Some people will leave 2$ no matter how much their bill is, and some people just wont tip period. The non tippers hurt a lot more if they are one of 3 150$ tables than if they are one of 30 15$ ones...
Sara C
2010-06-04 20:36:25 UTC
Of course! The higher the bill, the more the tip. A fancy restaurant tends to have more pricey food, which means a more costly bill. Say the person takes 20% of that for the tip. Common sense 20% of 200$ is more than 20% of 40$. Yes a waiter in a fancy restaurant makes more for doing the same job. :)
2016-03-01 05:40:17 UTC
If you are the hygene inspector, then you are in a position of authority to report him. If you don't report him, you are part of the problem. So here is the answer: NO it is no O.K. nor is it funny or proper in any aspect. Your Friend agreed to work minimum wage + tips. If he isn't very good, he won't earn tips. That is his choice, not the patron's choice. Some people are stingy with tips. part of it is cultural, I met a gal from a foreign country who was disgusted with me when I tipped 15% - 20%. She thought I was being foolish giving my money away. I have seen good waiters and waitresses who worked their butts off and took all types of criticism in stride and kept on providing excellent service. When that happens, the other patrons in the restaraunt typically tip extra high. So I doubt one cheapskate is worth the risk. Sounds like your friend is just a sicko. First Laxitive, what's next? Date rape drugs in a girls food if he hits on a chick that snubs him? how about poisoning his coworkers to get a promotion? He sounds like a bad person to me that should not be in the service industry. Perhaps he should be cleaning floors and toilets for minimum wage instead with no opportunity for tips. T.I.P. means To Insure Promptness. If you tip well, you get good service the next time, if not you go to the back of the queue. Has your friend been giving OUTSTANDING service to the poor tippers, or is he a lazy bum who expects a handout just for carrying food from the kitchen to a table? A good waiter does a lot more than that. A poor waiter can't even do that right and deserves no tip.
Ashley
2010-06-04 19:59:15 UTC
Yes, they do tend to make more money. But there are reasons for it..

Whens the last time you went to a diner or chain restaurant and received a wine presentation? Or a server that grinds fresh pepper and parmesan over your dish? Can they describe everything on the menu and how its prepared, or have to memorize the dessert list?

In most cases, higher end restaurants have more training then a cheaper restaurant. The service tends to be better and more informative. Specials are memorized, not printed. Its really just little extras that make the experience a little more then a regular restaurant.